"If a dozen men, working eight hours a day, had to dig a hole ten-and-a-half miles deep—how long would it be, including Sundays, before they put down their spades?"
The King's eyes shone with a cunning sparkle. He gazed at the Cat with a look of triumph. But the Cat had its answer ready.
"Two seconds," it said quickly, with a little flick of its tail.
"Two seconds! Are you mad? The answer's in years!" The King rubbed his hands together with glee at the thought of the Cat's mistake.
"I repeat," said the Cat. "It would take them two seconds. To dig such a hole would be utterly foolish. 'Ten miles deep?' they would say. 'Why, what on earth for?'"
The Cat that looked at a King.
Member for 9 years, 6 months
23 profile views
Last seen Mar 28 '20 at 0:47
- Travel 44.6k 44.6k 1010 gold badges9898 silver badges194194 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 5.6k 5.6k 3030 silver badges4949 bronze badges
- Expatriates 5.3k 5.3k 1818 silver badges4343 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2.7k 2.7k 1616 silver badges3737 bronze badges
- Super User 2.3k 2.3k 22 gold badges1515 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 126 Linux: find out what process is using all the RAM?
- 64 How do I login as root?
- 59 Are there any flights which permits a Sikh to carry a kirpan?
- 43 What to do if drugs / a bomb are planted in your travel bag?
- 37 If, like Edward Snowden, your passport was revoked or cancelled, how could you travel?
- 36 Why can't I delete a file where I have group write permissions on?
- 35 Does condition 8115 mean you can't check your work email?
- View more network posts →