"If a dozen men, working eight hours a day, had to dig a hole ten-and-a-half miles deep—how long would it be, including Sundays, before they put down their spades?"
The King's eyes shone with a cunning sparkle. He gazed at the Cat with a look of triumph. But the Cat had its answer ready.
"Two seconds," it said quickly, with a little flick of its tail.
"Two seconds! Are you mad? The answer's in years!" The King rubbed his hands together with glee at the thought of the Cat's mistake.
"I repeat," said the Cat. "It would take them two seconds. To dig such a hole would be utterly foolish. 'Ten miles deep?' they would say. 'Why, what on earth for?'"
The Cat that looked at a King.
Member for 8 years, 10 months
23 profile views
Last seen Mar 28 at 0:47
- Travel 44.4k 44.4k 99 gold badges9393 silver badges193193 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 5.4k 5.4k 2626 silver badges4747 bronze badges
- Expatriates 5.3k 5.3k 1717 silver badges4343 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 2.4k 2.4k 1414 silver badges3535 bronze badges
- Super User 2.2k 2.2k 22 gold badges1414 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 119 Linux: find out what process is using all the RAM?
- 60 How do I login as root?
- 59 Are there any flights which permits a Sikh to carry a kirpan?
- 43 What to do if drugs / a bomb are planted in your travel bag?
- 37 If, like Edward Snowden, your passport was revoked or cancelled, how could you travel?
- 35 Does condition 8115 mean you can't check your work email?
- 34 Why can't I delete a file where I have group write permissions on?
- View more network posts →