The theme for the December photo competition is "Winter or near winter public holidays". I'm looking for photos that depict a public celebration of a holiday that is celebrated either during the winter season proper, or in the 6-8 weeks leading up to the winter season.
Examples would be a large Christmas tree in a town center, a large, a public dragon parade for Chinese New Year, a city decorated with lights for Diwali (provided it fell close to the winter season that year), etc. Basically, any publicly celebrated holiday, religious or not, that is in or around the winter season.
You may make your submission as an answer to this post. The standard rules for photo contests apply:
- Only one photo per answer.
- You can make up to three posts (attempts).
- Do not delete posts if you don't get votes: you posted it, stand by it. (You have two more attempts if your first one doesn't work out.)
- All submissions should have a line with when and where the photo was taken, and the specific holiday depicted in the photo.
- The photo has to be taken by the person who posted it, or by a travel partner (needs to be named).
- Keep it nice, non-offensive, and non-NSFW.
- If you disagree with a photo, please consider leaving a comment on it or bringing it up in chat. For the purposes of judging, only upvotes will be considered; downvotes will not affect the score of the photo.
- The photo may have been taken any time. (Keep in mind the topic restriction, though.)
- The photo does not need to include people, but when it does, make sure they either agreed with them being in it and online, or show them in such a way they can't be recognized. (Doctoring the photo to block out faces is allowed.) If in doubt, go by the laws in your country.
- The photo competition will begin December 1, 2019, 0:00 UTC, and continue until the end of the month (again in UTC). If there is no tie for the highest number of upvotes at the end of the month, the winner will be announced then; if there is, the voting period may extend beyond the month.
If you'd like to suggest a theme for a future photo competition, please add it to the list of possible photo competition topics. Also, you can join us in chat to help us make the decision on which topic to choose.
Clarification for photos in the southern hemisphere
Other than the mere fact that this happens to be the December photo competition, this post makes no references to specific times of year, only to the winter season. So for those in the southern hemisphere, photos taken during what would be the summertime in the northern hemisphere are acceptable.
Since no one currently on the site has offered/is available to host the competition this month, I've agreed to do it. I'm not sure at this point if I can continue doing it every month, but Midavalo has agreed to do it for the next month (January 2020), so that's covered.
Rules adapted from Willeke's previous photo competition.