Now that Expats.SE is open-beta, will expat related questions be migrated there or will they stay on Travel.SE?

For example I've noted that bunch of questions just got tagged as and . Will these get migrated?

  • I added those tags because I noticed that they were specific kinds of visas that came up frequently enough. I'd added a tag for b1/b2 visas a while back. Commented Mar 27, 2014 at 21:07
  • Not all questions tagged such are off-topic here. Of those that are off-topic here, closed, and not of sucky quality, I think we probably should try migrating at least on to expats.SE to see how it goes. Good practice for both sites. Commented Mar 27, 2014 at 21:12

1 Answer 1


People generally get visas because they intend to travel. Most questions currently tagged or fall in two categories:

  • Travelling, usually passing a border, with a visa. Such questions are completely on-topic here, no matter what the visa status here (tourist, student, work, permanent resident, national, …). [1] [3] [4] [8] [12]
  • Questions about mixing short-term and long-term visas and activities. Just because a long-term visa is involved doesn't make them off-topic. (Consider the symmetric case: short-term-visa.SE would reject the question as involving a long term visa, long-term-visa.SE would reject the question as involving a short term visa.) [2] [5] [6] [7] [11]

Only off-topic questions should be migrated. Not questions that happen to be also on-topic elsewhere.

That leaves only two questions [9] [10] which are about obtaining a long-term visa and thus may be off-topic (but that's an issue we've never had consensus on).

  • For clarity, both H-1B and J-1 are work visas, not travel visas.
    – vartec
    Commented Mar 26, 2014 at 17:02
  • 2
    @vartec “Travel visa” isn't a standard term, but it seems strange to me to reserve the term to a subset of the visas that allow their holder to travel. If you want to enter the US the US to work, you need a J1 visa (or one of a few other documents). It's a document that you need to travel (a travel visa) as well as a document that you need to work (a work visa). Commented Mar 26, 2014 at 17:12
  • You're effectively saying that anything related to crossing border is on-topic on Travel.SE. IMO it seems like boat programming.
    – vartec
    Commented Mar 26, 2014 at 17:17
  • 2
    @vartec Uh? Yes, crossing a border is traveling. This has nothing to do with “boat programming” — that's something like “how do I edit my code while crossing a border” which is not about crossing a border nor otherwise about traveling. Commented Mar 26, 2014 at 17:22
  • 2
    @vartec: work visas are not opposed to travel visas, they are opposed to tourist visas. Both tourism travel and work travel are travel. Commented Mar 27, 2014 at 21:09
  • @hippietrail: IMO relocation and travelling are different things, even though relocation does include traveling from point A to point B, maybe even crossing borders.
    – vartec
    Commented Mar 28, 2014 at 13:35
  • 1
    @vartec: Nope relocation is a kind of travelling or involves travelling. Any time you move from point A to point B you're travelling. Relocation is different to holidaying or vacationing though. Right now I'm looking for cheap tickets to travel back home after my 7 or 8 month trip around Asia. Commented Mar 28, 2014 at 13:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .